There are moments of monotony for which I crave the chaos of change" - GDP
At 17 years old I was a wet behind the ears teenager flying solo to the Northeast Caribbean to a foreign land. My high school counselor Mrs. Cunningham thought Aunt Pam had certainly went insane. Actually so did I... She wouldn't let me go to Spain because she thought someone may kidnap me, but she trusted me in this place with not one familiar face in sight.
I remember the angst on the car ride to airport and me saying "What if they don't like me?". I recollect the conversation with my aunts friend the night before. He warned me "Don't be mean to my family... you know how you are..." well no I didn't know how I was, I looked at him puzzled. He continued with his thick island accent "You sit and stare. Don't do that!!!" Okay so I had an eye problem. I still do, but this post is not about that.
Anyhow... I landed in V.C. Bird International. I was nervous to reach my destination. Who had even heard of this place? Antigua..."Antigua Bay, Jamaica" (FYI...that's not a place). I'll skip the particulars of my ride to Cedar Grove (the village I would be staying in for the next month). There were 2 girls waiting for my arrival. Honestly my grown ass wasn't interested in meeting anyone. It was like the trip you take down south for the first time where everything seems to be a season behind.
One girl was inquisitive and mischievous. She was intrigued by my presence and would grill me for hours about my personal business and what it was like to live in the U.S. The other girl had this bright smile and our souls clicked. She was a unique duck and I say duck as a term of endearment. She was intelligent, well spoken, and just as interested in learning about me as I was her. We would tell each other stories until it was time for us to go to bed. We laughed, cried, and shared secrets. In those 4 weeks we built a bond that would stand the test of time.
That girl has blossomed into an awesome woman, my sister, and one of my dearest friends. Gina is her name and the quote that started this post is hers. She's an amazing writer and a kindred spirit. I was in awe when she started writing, she's come a long way from the letters we penned to keep in touch over the years. Ginny From the Block or Gin as I call her is purposeful and passionate with her words. Whether she's writing to demand for people to get out of her space, about the loss of love or a beautiful sonnet she's inspiring and gentle with words.
Antigua is not just the place of Sea & Sand or the place that has 365 breathtaking beaches for each day of the year. It is the birthplace and home to my kindred spirit Ms. GDP. Please read The Ginny Diaries (ginaphillip.wordpress.com) and subscribe while you're there, you'll enjoy the journey.
Thanks for reading!!!
Until next time.
Love & Light,
xoxo Jane

No comments:
Post a Comment